And a Whole New Year Starts
So many things happened last year. Many good things, many bad things, but let's focus on the good ones. Here are some highlights of the past 365 days:
- I self-published my first Children's Picture Book, Eggie's Adventures at Poe Cottage, thanks to the New Work Bronx Council of the Art grant and a successful Kickstarter campaign. Grateful to everyone who believed in my crazy dream!
- I was back at the Bronx Library Center with an in-person exhibition after months of being closed, with the presentation of my book in Spanish.
- I went back to Uptown Grand Central to paint another mural. This year I wanted to center my mural in a positive image, uplifting message. In works of Dr. Maya Angelou: "Be a Rainbow in Someone Else's Cloud"
- I successfully painted over 10 community fridges n the past 2 years. I am so proud of our Bronx Community that really worked to share and make sure everyone has food on their table.
- Not only I repainted the Friendly Fridge Bx when it broke down this past summer, but I got to paint a mural in the empty business behind it. Community and business collaborating to change the way we do things.
- I created the logo for the 2021 Boogie Down Boogaloo, an annual event created by the Boogaloo Project, bringing cultural and artistic significance of the genre of music known as Latin Boogaloo.
- I was part of Art Time, a docu-series produced by BxArts Factory and Bronxnet. I was the March episode, where I talked about my journey as an artist and I explained how to create potato stamps.
- I had the privilege of creating images for the Pepatian Bronx Artists Now website. I made a map where you can find all the locations they have hosted their annual showcases. I also created three images based in the conversations during three panels with international artists and curators.
- It was the first year I was able to finish #inktober and I did it combining prompts from two different lists. I did it using my iPad and Procreate, also a first time!
- I was invited to paint live during the virtual fundraiser A.R.T.E. hosted at the beginning of the year and the painting was sold at an auction.
- I was part of Process -> Project: What Comes Out of our Sketchbooks, an exhibition at the Jamaica Center for Arts & Learning (JCAL), Curated by Rejin Reyes, part of the Southeast Queens Artists Alliance, together with a great group of artists with my sketches from #Greenthumbproject.
Comments are closed.
I am a...
Graphic Designer, Illustrator, Educator, Community Activist... ARTIST!
All Images COPYRIGHT © 2008-2021, are property of Laura Alvarez Fernandez. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED