Celebrating Book Day, on April 23, I will be giving away three packs with:
* Eggie’s Adventures at Poe Cottage
* Limited edition Eggie’s tote bag
* Is it Halloween Yet sketch book
* A limited C-Print from one of my illustrations.
I will be posting every day until Saturday April 23, and until then, for each post you can win an entry for the giveaway doing all of the above:
-Like the post
-Share the post
-Tag someone that will like this!
And good luck to everyone!!!
Only USA addresses will be valid.
Last Spring I painted one of the picnic tables now on display at the New York Botanical Garden. Around the Table: Stories of the Foods we Love, is a celebration of art and science of edible plants. On view from Saturday, June 4, 2022 to Sunday, September 11, 2022.
Not only you can visit the garden and check all the amazing tables from the Bronx artists, but you can also join me for the workshop I will be leading by my table:
August 20 from 12 to 4pm
Enid A. Haupt Conservatory Lawn
Artist Laura Álvarez Fernández traces her roots back to Valencia, Spain in this celebration of Spanish paella, a versatile rice dish. On this afternoon, you are invited to join Laura to design a plate that features your favorite ancestral dish.
Sunday, May 1, 2022 // Celebrate Independent Bookstore Day with us!
Join Bronx Bound Books and the Riverdale Y Sunday Market for a day filled with nutritious food for the body and for the soul!
From 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. I will be signing my picture book "Eggie's Adventures at Poe Cottage" and I will have some surprises too! Come and meet author Tara Tatelbaum and learn more about her book "Putting My Heels Down".
This is going to be a great Sunday!
The Flag Project returns to the Rockefeller Center! This year they have collaborated with the United Nations Environment Programme and the Climate Museum in New York to focus on what really matters — "Only One Earth". Artists will show how you live sustainably and in harmony with nature, and the daily steps you take towards positive climate action.
My artwork "Nature is Watching" was selected, and it will be on display at the Rockefeller Center from April 1 to May 1, 2022. If you are in NY by then, stop by the Rockefeller Center Rink!
Find me this weekend at the MoCCA Arts Festival
125 W 18th St, New York, NY 10011
Saturday, April 2, 2022 - From 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Sunday, April 3, 2022 - From 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Eggie and I will be at Booth A115
This is very exciting! It will be my first time at MoCCA Arts Festival as a vendor and I am hoping to see many of you there. The festival not only has exhibitors, it is a two day multimedia event and Manhattan’s largest comics and cartoon festival. It is the place to find the best independent comic artists, there will be panels, signings, demos and many other activities that I am sure you don't want to miss!
This is the second year I am part of this amazing fundraiser organized to gather funds for an even more amazing organization. I will be painting a Wall of Words live during the event, and it will be auctioned right after the event. I hope you all can make it!
Art and Resistance Through Education (ARTE) is a Brooklyn-based non-profit organization that engages young people to amplify their voices and organize for human rights change through visual arts.ARTE invites you to our annual fundraiser, which will be streamed virtually on Friday, February 18th from 7:00-9:00pm ET. On this celebratory evening, join ARTE community members as we gather together to:
All proceeds from the fundraiser will be used to support ARTE’s work. Since its inception, ARTE has engaged over 8,000 community members in its art-based, human rights pedagogy, including youth, teachers, artists, and activists, and created several community-based mural projects in four boroughs across New York City. For more information about ARTE, please visit our website or check out our 2020 annual report here.
As Valentine's Day approaches, I wanted to tell you that no matter how many gifts, cards, flowers or chocolates you get or don't get, you should love yourself first!
I see a lot of people not valuing themselves enough just because they feel they are not loved the way they believe they have to be loved.
Relationships are not easy, but at the same time they make us humans. Lo, let's start taking care of ourselves, our mental health, our sanity, and then we can worry about the rest. Now take some ME time and color the latest coloring page on my Have Fun Section!
I wish everyone a happy and healthy Valentine's Day.
Last week I was interviewed by Gary Axelbank for The Bronx Buzz at Bronxnet TV. We talked about "Eggie's Adventures at Poe Cottage" and it was as always a pleasure to chat with Gary for a little bit!
So many things happened last year. Many good things, many bad things, but let's focus on the good ones. Here are some highlights of the past 365 days:
- I self-published my first Children's Picture Book, Eggie's Adventures at Poe Cottage, thanks to the New Work Bronx Council of the Art grant and a successful Kickstarter campaign. Grateful to everyone who believed in my crazy dream!
- I was back at the Bronx Library Center with an in-person exhibition after months of being closed, with the presentation of my book in Spanish.
- I went back to Uptown Grand Central to paint another mural. This year I wanted to center my mural in a positive image, uplifting message. In works of Dr. Maya Angelou: "Be a Rainbow in Someone Else's Cloud"
- I successfully painted over 10 community fridges n the past 2 years. I am so proud of our Bronx Community that really worked to share and make sure everyone has food on their table.
- Not only I repainted the Friendly Fridge Bx when it broke down this past summer, but I got to paint a mural in the empty business behind it. Community and business collaborating to change the way we do things.
- I created the logo for the 2021 Boogie Down Boogaloo, an annual event created by the Boogaloo Project, bringing cultural and artistic significance of the genre of music known as Latin Boogaloo.
- I was part of Art Time, a docu-series produced by BxArts Factory and Bronxnet. I was the March episode, where I talked about my journey as an artist and I explained how to create potato stamps.
- I had the privilege of creating images for the Pepatian Bronx Artists Now website. I made a map where you can find all the locations they have hosted their annual showcases. I also created three images based in the conversations during three panels with international artists and curators.
- It was the first year I was able to finish #inktober and I did it combining prompts from two different lists. I did it using my iPad and Procreate, also a first time!
- I was invited to paint live during the virtual fundraiser A.R.T.E. hosted at the beginning of the year and the painting was sold at an auction.
- I was part of Process -> Project: What Comes Out of our Sketchbooks, an exhibition at the Jamaica Center for Arts & Learning (JCAL), Curated by Rejin Reyes, part of the Southeast Queens Artists Alliance, together with a great group of artists with my sketches from #Greenthumbproject.
Since May 2020 The Friendly Fridge Bx Has been helping the community by having free food available 24/7. If people has something to share, they leave it there, if you need something, you can get it. It mutual aid at it's best. Last week, the owner of the space hosting the fridge told them they could paint the gates because it is going to be closed for a little while. We did give it a clean up and a bright new look!
It is located at Broadway and 242 Street in the Bronx.
I am a...
Graphic Designer, Illustrator, Educator, Community Activist... ARTIST!
All Images COPYRIGHT © 2008-2021, are property of Laura Alvarez Fernandez. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED